Monday, February 25, 2008

Democracy, Pedagogy, and the Personal Essay by Joel Haefner

John Dewey gets my prize for the quote that I feel has been the most important thing I've read in here so far, "The very idea of education is a freeing of individual capacity in a progressive growth directed to social aims." (513) Now, I'm not going out on a limb claiming to have read other Dewey writing and agree with is point of view, but I think that quote means a lot to writing and its ideology and pedagogy. Isn't that the point of an American education, to be individualistic AND work toward the greater good of the society. Above all, that should be the ideology of writing instruction, to teach our students to write in the way that works best for them. To expose them to all of the different types, genres, purposes, etc. of writing and allow them to pick and chose between methods and create an individual "portfolio" that fits them best.

Haefner puts up arguments about essays as democratic and how best to use them in the classroom. Berthoff encourages teachers to teach the higher meaning of language and how it can create even more meaning for the writer. Last week we read about Trimbur and the collaborative approach and Bizell's inner and out directed theories. Etc., etc., etc. We have read papers (essays) from some very intelligent theorists who are all excellent writers and persuaders (though they use way too many big words for my taste) and sometimes they agree and sometimes they don't, but they all put forth arguments and data and examples and charts that show the true aim of discourse and the best writing ideology.

But is there one pedagogy or ideology that will fit the writing needs of all of America's students? Is one ideology going to fit every student we come across? No way. Individuality is too important to the American. Sure, we have social expectations and norms, but at heart, we embrace our individualism and need to educate our students that way as well, especially in their writing. So as educators, we gauge the needs of our students and pick and choose the methods and pedagogues that will work best. Learning disabled students may need a five paragraph outline. English Language Learners may need more grammar instruction. Students who were never read to may need to be exposed to more types of writing and literature. Well read, high thinking students may need more independence and room to grow. Gardner taught us about the "Multiple Intelligences Theory" and I am a firm believer. Every student has talents and strengths and teaching to the middle, a generalized, this is the way method, is too much for some students and holds others back.

Wow! I'm going to finish my rant now. Sorry, I think I've gotten way off topic here, but I guess I have to learn and grow as I write if I want my students to do the same.

No comments: